Western Christmas, New Year, Orthodox Christmas, Old New Year… My body is begging me for a break from the non-stop wining and dining! I decided to go for a 7 days detox and eat only raw food. It is a kinda fashion now – this raw food diet. I am sure it make sense in many ways. Some time ago I read Tom Venuto’s book “Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscles”. Tom divides all food in 4 categories depending on how much processed it is. For example:
A – apple
B – apple juice
C – apple jam
D – apple pie
He recommends to eat as many A products (most “real” and full of good energy) as possible and avoid the D ones (most processed) as much as possible as well.
All this makes perfect sense although I am not sure a 100% raw food diet is for everyone :-/. For me it is definitely a temporary measure 😉
As Epicurus (341 BCE – 270 BCE) said: “In order to enjoy more, restrict your pleasures!” 😉
Even on a raw food diet I have discovered some pretty amazing stuff.
RAW STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE
– 1cup almonds (100gr)
– 2cup walnuts (200gr)
– 1/2c dates
– salt and cinnamon
– 2 carrots
You can use other types of nuts as well. I used almonds and cashew nuts.
– 200gr strawberries
– 1.5 cup of soaked cashews
– 1 cup of dates
– Vanilla extract
– 1/2c coconut oil (I didnt use)
– 1-3 drops of sweetener: honey or stevia
– agar agar or gelatine
– water: min. 1 cup to dissolve agar agar or gelatine. You might need some more water (approx 0,5 cup. ) if the strawberries are not juicy enough.
In order to make the crust you should take the ingredients from the crust (1c of almonds, 2c walnuts, 1c dates) and soak them for at least 1 hour.
Then drain and put in the food processor together with your carrots, add 1 pinch of salt and some cinammon to taste.
Process until you get a sticky paste. Spread the mixture at the bottom of the pan and press with your fist against it so it’s firm and even.
1. Soak the 1,5 c of cashews and the cup dates for at least 1hour.
2. Prepare your gelatine 30 min in advance: soak 1 sheet in 1 cup of warm water.
3. Then put it in a high speed blender along with 1 cup of the strawberries, 2c water, 3ts vanilla, 1ts salt, 1/2c coconut oil.
4. Blend and add some water if it’s difficult to start: the mixture should be dense but not completely liquid.
5. Add the soaked gelatine water.
Taste the mixture and depending on your taste and on how sweet the strawberries are or how big the dates, add 1/2c of honey if you feel it needs to be more sweet. (I don’t think you will need any sweetener – the dates are way too sweet!)
Once the filling is ready, pour it in the cake recipient and start making the topping/glossing.
I didnt do the glossing so cant tell you who it works!! If you try – let me know!
For the glossing:
Put the other half of the strawberries (100gr) in the clean blender, with 1/2 cup of honey and a 1/2c of water. Pour it on top of the cheese.
Now put the cake in the freezer for 3 hours minimum, then switch to the fridge and take it out few minutes before serving!