- 2 tbdp olive oil
- 6-8 good pork sausages
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 2 sticks celerey
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 250 gr puy lentils (please use the one small and dark green)
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 150 ml red wine
- 1 spring rosemary
- salt and ground black pepper
- a can (or more) of chopped tomatoes
Do you hate soups as much as I hate them?” Periphrase of the famous Russian quote “Do you love countryside as much as I do?” (Love-hate, countryside – soup).
I used to hate soups. Probably it is due my Soviet childhood. Soups didn’t look well those days: transparent (there wasn’t much to put in), runny, with random pieces of potatoes and carrots, not tasty (Hello, school canteen!). I considered them a waste of time and space in my stomach.
All changed when I started to discover what really delicious, rich of flavours, aromas and character soups are. And was amazed.
One of my favourite soups is a Lentils soup. “Lentils” was a great discovery of mine a couple of years ago. Now it is my frequent guest and a close friend.
Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome… LENTILS SOUP!
- one cup of red lentils
- 3 cups of water
- Chicken stock
- Chopped tomatoes (1 can)
- Garlic (1 clove)
- 1 tb spoon of olive or a grapeseed oil
- grated parmesan
1. Rinse the lentils well.
2. Add 3 cups of water in a pan and add a chicken stock cube in there (it must dissolve in the boiling water while cooking).
3. Boil lentils for 15 min.
While the lentils is cooking, prepare the spices.
4) Preheat the pan. Add turmeric and cumin seeds in there and let them “cook” there for a couple of minutes. The reason for that is that the spices give their aromas, open up when you preheat them in a dry pan Thats how I do it:
5. Add olive oil and chopped garlic and onion
6. Cook for 2-3 min – the onion has to become golden and soft.
7. Add the spices+ the onion to the lentils.
8. Add a can of chopped tomatoes.
9. Simmer for a few (10-15) minutes. Cool down.
And now..tadaaammm!! the best part! That what makes the soup really interesting and incredibly tasty!!
Blend it with your hand blender!!!
Feel free to add a grated parmesan to your plate!
What to pay attention to:
Spices. You will have to experiment with them and find out the combination YOU prefer. E.g. I like a touch of cumin and some people would put a handful of it! Same with turmetic. Try and add more if you think will like it! Experiment!
It will take you only 30 min or less to make this soup from scratch! And requires minimum cooking skills. If you want a more nourishing version, add pieces of boiled chicken to the soup and also blend them together with the lentils. It will be great!