If you haven’t been on heaven for a while – make a Caponata and you’ll go straigh there (guaranteed).
Here is the CAPONATA recipe I use:
- 2 large aubergines cut into large chunks (if small – will absorb the oil too fast)
- dried origano
- one red onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- a bunch of fresh parsley
- 2 spoons of salted capers
- a handful of green olives (stones removed)
- 5 large tomatoes roughly chopped
- tomato concentrate (3-4 table spoons)
- herb vinegar
Preheat a large pan with some olive oil. Add aubergines and oregano, salt and toss around (the aubergines have to be covered with the oil). Cook on a hight heat for 5 min. When the aubergines are golden, add the onion, garlic and parsley.
Cook for another 2 min. Fell free to add more oil if you see it is necessary. add the capers (rinse them before – they can be too salty!), add the olives and (!) herb vinegar! I didnt have it so I used a white wine vinegar – still came out great!
In a couple of minutes add the tomatoes, tomato concentrate and simmer for about 15 min till tender and all the tastes blended together.
Taste and add more salt, pepper, or vinegar. sprinkle with olive oil and a some chopped fresh parsley.