You will never feel heavy and stuffed after eating most of my desserts. Sorry about that. This because I am a magician!!! Welll NOT!! It is simply because I choose and combine the ingredients in a particular way… doesnt matter!
amazing Orange and Almonds cake
When I made this cake the first time I couldnt believe “I” could make THIS. It was and
still is the most amazing dessert I have ever eaten (mmm just 2 days ago I beat this and made another one I like even more…but this one stays amazing!). I got the recipe from Caterina who IS a master chef of all times! I will always be thankful to her for this gift and now sharing with you!
- 3 oranges
- 6 eggs
- 200 g caster sugar (I use Fruit sugar)
- 225 g ground almonds
- 1 tea spoon of baking powder
- flaked almonds
- sifted icing sugar to decorate
1. Boil and oranges for 1,5-2 hours. YES, I said boil. Yes with skin!
2. Preheat the oven till 120-150 degrees.
3. Let the oranges cool down and cut into pieces. Put the oranges, eggs, sugar, ground almonds in the blender. Blend for 20 seconds.
4. Butter the cake tin well (or use the brown baking paper. or use the baking paper and butter it as well – for the best results:)
5. Put the mixture in the tin and oven it :). Bake for about 1.5 hours at the low temperature 120 degrees. Check with the screw and keep a bit longer if necessary. But keep in mind that is HAS TO BE moist!
6. Roast the almond flakes. I normally do it in a hot small pan (no oil is involved) very quickly – till lightly tanned. Dont go anywhere – they can burn very quickly 🙂
7. Leave the cake to cool in the tin, then turn it out, peel away the lining paper and transfer to a serving plate.
8. Sprinkle the cake with the almond flakes and dust with icing sugar before serving. Mind that icing sugar melts quite fast so you might want to to decorate the cake just before serving.
You, your guests will be amazed how good this cake is. Better the next day!
CHOCOLATE & AMARETTO CAKE
- 150 gr dark chocolate (70%cacao)
- 125 gr unsalted butter
- 5 eggs separated
- 175 gr soft brown sugar
- 175 gr ground almonds
- 100 ml of amaretto + 1 tbs for amaretto cream
- Double cream 100 ml
- icing sugar
4. Mix the sugar and almonds in the chocolate mixture, then stir in the egg yolks and the 100 ml of Amaretto.
5. Finally, fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and back for about 30 minutes or until firm on the top and the screwer comes out clean (I usually use the knife to check if it is ready). Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool.
6. Whip the cream with 1 tbs of Amaretto.
7. To serve dust with the icing sugar. Allow guests to help themselves with the raspberries and whipped cream. Or add some cream and raspberries on each plate before serving.
your guests will never forget you 😉
P.S. In the original recipe there is one more ingredient: Passion fruit. If you want to use it, blend its flesh in food processor. Then add icing sugar. When serving the cake, drizzle the passion fruit mix over.
LEMON & ROSEMARY CAKE!
I am really nervous now. What if you dont like it. And say it is smth absolutely strange and shouldn’t exist? Well it is even better because I would be able to eat it WHOLE by myself ! 😛
Story goes like this. Once I’ve been in one delicatessen place in Balham and ordered a cake which looked attractive without asking what was actually IN! When I tried it ..it was an explosion in my mouth!! I was stunned by that taste!! Lemony sour and sweet and smth else and the texture… well you have to try to understand me! Shocked and feeling a bit dizzy I went to the counter and asked what kind of cake it was. “What is it made of???” I was told it was made of lemon, rosemary, loads of olive oil..but they didnt tell me more – “SECRET“!! It was about a year ago. I never forgot that cake and tried to find the recepie to make this miracle by myself. I thought I would have to devote my life to it (proper life goal!) but I found the recipe and made it 2 days ago!!!
For the cake
200g ground almonds
200g white sugar
200ml olive oil
Grated zest of 1 large lemon
4 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
For the syrup
Juice of 2 large lemons
Same amount of water
3 tbsp sugar
4 sprigs of rosemary
In a large bowl, combine all the cake ingredients:
I use fruit sugar instead of regular sugar. It is much healthier because it has a Low Glycemic index, meaning no insulin spikes!
Beat all the ingredients together.
and and then pour into 8 oiled ramekins or in the baking tin. I use quite wide but low – the one for tarts!
Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until golden.
To make the syrup, simmer all the ingredients over a low heat, until thickened. Let the cake cool down properly. It will become very even, nice. turn it upside down on a flat dish. Prick them all over with a skewer and pour syrup over them. The more the better. I decorated it with the icing sugar. A sprig of rosemary and wedges of orange are also appropriate. 🙂
I will experiment with the texture next time…the results coming soon!!