Last days of Febrarch. Febrapril is just round the corner. Feels like just the time for something warm and filling…comfort food – as the British call it. In most of the cases comfort food would be a dish that contains either potatoes or dough. This is because carbohydrates give us this “comfort” feeling. Great! But they also help us to gain a few extra kgs. As we don’t want that, we have to choose carbohydrates carefully and go only for those that have a low GI. They perfectly go with meat, fish or cheese and we totally avoid those harmful consequences we have to face if we eat potatoes or white flour dishes.
I found this dish in the Man’s Health magazine and since then it has become a frequent guest on our table. This dish is VERY tasty, nourishing and healthy!
- 2 tbdp olive oil
- 6-8 good pork sausages
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 2 sticks celerey
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 250 gr puy lentils (please use the one small and dark green)
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 150 ml red wine
- 1 spring rosemary
- salt and ground black pepper
- a can (or more) of chopped tomatoes
Unless the package says otherwise, soak the lentils in the water for 2 hours or overnight.
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the sausages until browned, then remove and set aside
2. Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan. Cook the onion, garlic, carrot and celerey for 5-10 min, until lightly coloured.
3. Return the sausages to the pan along with the stock, wine, rosemary and lentils. (Feel free to sip the wine while cooking – it will inspire you and bring you in a great mood! But not overdo it!! 😉
OK, HERE WATCH OUT IF YOUR LENTILS IS LONG-COOKING OR SLOW COOKING. IF IT IS A LONG COOKING, PLEASE PUT THE SAUSAGES BACK INTO THE PAN LATER OTHERWISE THEY WILL BE COOKED FOR TOO LONG AND FALL APART.
4. Add a can of chopped tomatoes.
5. Bring to boil then simmer for from 40 minutes to 1 hour (it depends on the type of your lentils) until the lentils has softened. check the sausages are well cooked and remove rosemary before serving 😉
LOW GI Complex carb (like lentils) and fiber are key to keeping the blood sugar levels stable, so combining lentils with meat means you wont be craving for a cheesecake later!