You will never feel heavy and stuffed after eating most of my desserts. Sorry about that. It’s because I am a magician!!! Welll NOT!! It is simply because I choose and combine the ingredients in a particular way… doesnt matter!
When I made this cake the first time I couldnt believe “I” could make THIS. It was and
still is the most amazing dessert I have ever eaten (mmm just 2 days ago I beat this and made another one I like even more…but this one stays amazing!). I got the recipe from Caterina who is THE master chef of all times!
I will always be thankful to her for this gift!
I recently tested and approved a slightly new version of this cake and now sharing with you!
- 2 oranges of best quality and the sweetest you can find (approx. 375 gr.)
- 6 eggs
- 250 g caster sugar (I use Fruit sugar)
- 250 g ground almonds
- 1 tea spoon of baking powder
- 1 tea spoon of vanilla extract
- 3 tb. spoon of Cointreau liqueur
- flaked almonds and sifted icing sugar to decorate
Make sure you have the right baking tin. I use a deep loose base tin – check the Cooking tips section!
1. Boil the oranges for 2 hours with the lid half on. YES, I said boil. Yes with skin.
2. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
3. Let the oranges cool down and cut into pieces.
4. Blend the oranges in the blender.
5. In a bowl beat eggs and sugar until thick.
6. Add the almonds, baking powder, vanilla extract, Cointreau liqueur mixing well, then finally adding the pulped oranges.
The batter is ready. Now grease your loose base cake tin well. Put the mixture there and oven it 🙂
Now attention! What is the size of your baking tin? The baking time will be different depending on it. If it is 22 cm, bake for 1 hour. If it s 25 cm, bake for 45 min only.
Check with the screw and keep a bit longer if necessary. But keep in mind that is has to be moist.
Attenzione. You will have to make this cake a couple of times to find out for how long and and what temperature you have to keep it in your oven!
Toast the almond flakes. I do it in a hot small pan (no oil is involved) very quickly – till lightly tanned. Dont go anywhere – they can burn very quickly 🙂
Once the cake is ready, let it cool down in the tin. It must cool down properly – for at least 1 hour! (better overnight) Then turn it upside down on a flat dish.
Sprinkle the cake with almond flakes and dust with icing sugar before serving. Mind that icing sugar can melt quite fast so you might want to to decorate the cake just before serving.
You, your guests will be amazed how good this cake is. Even better next day!